TFTP and RIS for Windows Installation (Broadcast ACK Problem)

Chris cdtelting-ml at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 16:16:29 UTC 2006

I'm having trouble setting up a RIS server for windows.  I'm following
the instructions from http://oss.netfarm.it/guides/ris-linux.php except
I'm trying to use freebsd's native tftp.  I used Wireshark and the
problem appears to be that Freebsd TFTP doesn't recognize broadcast
ACK's from the client while transfering a file.  TFTP works for sending
the bootrom image since the PXE uses an actual IP address for the
request but retrieving XPLDR fails because the bootrom code only uses
broadcasts.  TFTP seems to start the transfer but it never seems to
register the broadcast ACK and tries to resend the same packet.

I'm going to try other tftp servers but I thought I'd do a post to see
if anyone else has experienced this.