ethernet port bondage

Antony Mawer fbsd-questions at mawer.org
Wed Nov 1 22:28:03 UTC 2006

On 2/11/2006 9:10 AM, Dan Nelson wrote:
>>> Have a look at carp(4). It's a failover solution and not a bonding
>>> one, but it sounds like that's more what you're after anyway.
>> Thanks for that, but I would be interested in bonding, unless in the
>> FreeBSD world that can't be achieved with failover. It's a fairly
>> straight forward setup on my Linux servers, I was thinking it would
>> be easy enough, but I haven't seen the docs for it anywhere.
>
> Try ng_fec, although it really doesn't implement fec negotiation, so
> you need to hardcode the settings to match on the switch.  There's also
> ng_one2many.

I posted instructions a while ago on how to setup ng_fec along with an
HP ProCurve switch supporting FastEtherchannel -- the same should also
apply for Cisco switches. Be warned that newer HP/Cisco gear has dropped
support for FEC in favour of 802.3ad/LACP...

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-September/011901.html

I haven't experimented with ng_one2many, but my understanding is that it
only provides a "dumb" balancing/bonding solution.

Presumably we need an ng_bonding or something along those lines would be
required to achieve parity with what Linux can provide...?

--Antony