Mounting to a second hard disk

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed May 31 11:29:28 PDT 2006

> On 5/31/06, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> > > Cool ... :)
> > Nice :)
> No Comment.

> > > $ dmesg | grep ad
> >
> > Another way is through atacontrol:
> >     # atacontrol list

I am not sure how big a question you are asking here.   If it is
just what the dev name will be, then others have answered that.
Just look in /dev for ad*  or  look in dmesg for ad** devices
being recognized, etc.

But, maybe you mean the whole process of getting the new drive
built, mounted and usable.   Is that what you are asking?  If so,
the first comment is 'the FreeBSD Handbook is your Friend'.

The general outline is:
  fdisk(8)          - Make at least one FreeBSD slice on it
  bsdlabel(8)       - Make at least one partition in each slice
  newfs(8)          - Build a filesystem on each partition created
  mkdir /newdska    - create mount points for each partition to be mounted
  edit /etc/fstab to add mount definitions - presuming you want it mounted
                                           - whenever you boot.
      Something like:
  /dev/ad1s1a          /newdsk         ufs     rw        2    2

  mount /newdsk      - (or just  'mount -a'  will do it)  Mount the partition

You can use sysinstall to do all this if you are squeemish about
doing it youself.   But is really isn't that hard and you will
learn a little more about how you disk system is put together.

Have fun,

////jerry