FreeBSD Security Survey

Gayn Winters gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com
Mon May 22 07:11:11 PDT 2006

Colin,

I had the same problem with #6 and also with #12.  #9, which
offered a time-line, was better.  All needed an "other" field.

In my case, the servers aren't on the edge of the Internet
(we use OpenBSD for that) and aren't subject to inside attacks;
hence, most advisories can at least be deferred.  As Ted points
out, turning off services or adding firewall rules are often
the path of least resistance.  Not only have most of us been
burned by a Windows security upgrade breaking a server's
application suite, my sense from this forum is that some
people have at least had this problem with version upgrades
(and many have had trouble with port upgrades)
and they (and now I) are understandably cautious.

Another consideration, not captured in your survey, is
"newbie-ness".  After 18 months or so using FreeBSD, I still
consider myself a newbie.  When it comes to version upgrades,
patches, and port upgrades, I'm definitely a newbie.  Not only
do I have to be extremely careful doing an upgrade, I also
need to be extra careful testing that I haven't broken anything.
Thus, unless a security advisory is directly applicable, I only
get around to the upgrades (and I do OS and ports all at once)
every several months.  Maybe as I gain more experience, I'll
be able to upgrade and test more efficiently and will be inclined
to do them more frequently.

I also agree with Ted that client cost is a deterrent to upgrades.

Finally, it may be interesting to expand the questions somehow
to include Linux.  Many of us also maintain Linux machines, and to
the extent there is reluctance to upgrade, it probably applies to
Linux as well - it does with me, even with much more Linux
experience.

Hope this helps,

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.