cant run x-windows on fresh 6.1 install

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Fri May 19 15:55:18 PDT 2006

Hi,

I just installed FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE for i386 [1]. I selected the
X-User install and (I think) all the defaults along the way. The only
port I added was Ruby. I can log in as "root" or as "peter" and make
and run a little ruby script.

When I type "startx" I see an error which i have retyped below

getconfig.pl: Evaluated 24 rules with 0 errors
getconfig.pl: Weight of result is 500
New driver is "ati"
(==) Using default built-in configuration (53 lines)
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) <default pointer>: Cannot find which device to use
(EE) xf860OpenSerial: No Device Specified
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "<default pointer>"
No core Pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initalize core devices

and them more stuff

Where did I go wrong with my install choices?

When Xwindows starts will it boot into Gnome or KDE? If not, what?

Thanks,
Peter

[1] Dell 450 MHz Pentium. I dedicated the entire hard drive to FreeBSD.