Move /var/imap

Dimitar Vasilev dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com
Mon May 15 21:03:29 PDT 2006

2006/5/15, Martin Schweizer <lists_freebsd at bluewin.ch>:
> Hello Dimitar
>
> Am Sat, May 13, 2006 at 10:25:05AM +0200 Dimitar Vasilev schrieb:
> > Speaking on prima vista:
> > Boot in single user mode.
> > Move the partiotions
> > Recreate the sockets
>
> How do I create sockets? I have no idea.

Usually the program makes the sockets after it is run.
In single user mode, no prog is active, so you can move the partition freely.
My colleagues have done this with /var on a server, on which I'm involved too.
If you want to create socket check
http://www.ohse.de/uwe/iodp/uxstreamsocket.html
man socket
http://wwwwbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/user-taipan/kraxel/gnuinfo/libc/File_Socket_Example.html
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=create+file+sockets&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
I think as a general rule, a prog should recreate its sockets, after
such operation.
You can go with just moving the imap in single user and I think it will be  ok.
Try this on a test box with imap to be sure.
Regards,
--
Димитър Василев
Dimitar Vassilev

GnuPG key ID: 0x4B8DB525
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint: D88A 3B92 DED5 917E 341E D62F 8C51 5FC4 4B8D B525