jwchat.

Jason Garrett kingedgar at gmail.com
Mon May 15 20:11:15 PDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 04:29:12PM -0500, Jason Garrett wrote:
> > On 5/15/06, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >        Can anybody offer some insights about an IM suite (ports/net-im)
> > >        called jwchat?  It looks like a useable way to chat, but I'm
> > >        having lots of troubles wiht getting it set up correctly.
> > >
> > >        My test setup is on sage.thought.org.  An immediate problem is that
> > >        when I point mozilla at "sage.thought.org/jwchat/ it takes quite
> > >        awhile to load, then all  that shows is an empty page.
> > >
> > >        Anybody??
> > >
> > >        gary
> > >
> > >        PS:  From looking at the apache logs, it looks like things are
> > >             going
> >
> > http://jwchat.sourceforge.net  is where I started from and had a
> > succesful install within a day or so. It took some crafty apache
> > config sections but all in all it wasnt bad. Make sure you have a
> > jabber server though!
>
>         Are you running apache-1.3?  I am, but the examples the jwchat
>         site has are for v2 of apache.  I finally used the <Virtual *>
>         example, put it into the apache httpd.conf and I finally
>         stopped getting a 404  err.
>
>         The jabber daemon:: *yes*.  A few hours ago I found the FAQ
>         pages on the ejabberd site and realized I needed not only to
>         add/modify several strings but uncomment them.  "%" isn't
>         normally used as a comment token.
>
>         JWchat looks like it'll serve well ... if I ever get the
>         bloody thing set up!
>
>         thanks for your help,
>
>         gary
>
>         PS: the chap who was helping me via message board has to think
>             i'm a moron ... won't be the 1st time:-)

Gary,

I am using apache 2.x. I have only used apache 1.3 one time and am
unsure of syntax/module differences, however I will post my relevant
parts of httpd.conf and config.js

Apache:
<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName chat.bogus.tld
  DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/jwchat
  <Directory /usr/local/www/jwchat>
    Options  +Indexes +Multiviews
  </Directory>
  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
  RewriteEngine on
  RewriteRule http-poll/ http://bogus.tld:5280/http-poll/ [P]
</VirtualHost>

Please note that here I had trouble while the jabber server and jwchat
were resolving to the same domain, ex bogus.tld. They have to be
seperate, at least from what I have tried.

/usr/local/www/jwchat/config.js

var SITENAME = "bogus.tld"
var DEFAULTRESOURCE = "jwchat";

<lot of snippage>

var BACKENDS =
[
                {
                        name:"Ejabberd",
                        httpbase:"http-poll/",
                        type:"polling",
                        servers_allowed:[SITENAME]
                },
];

I hope this sheds some light, even though I am using apache 2.x.

Also I had to have mod_rewrite and mod_proxy compiled in and enabled,
not sure on how to do this with apache 1.3, maybe someone more
familiar with 1.3 can chime in on those modules.

Jason