setuid perl scripts ?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu May 11 20:27:21 PDT 2006

It is my distinct impression that setuid perl scripts are supposed to
work.  That is, if you have an executable perl script with the setuid
bit, perl will start itself up and run suidperl or something and do
the necessary backflips to get itself running with the script's owner
as the effective UID.

This doesn't seem to to work in perl 5.8.8 on FreeBSD 6.0, using a
copy of perl built in the obvious way in the ports tree.  Is it
supposed to work?  Do I have to do something special to turn it on?

R's,
John

  Compile-time options: MYMALLOC PERL_MALLOC_WRAP USE_64_BIT_INT
                        USE_LARGE_FILES USE_PERLIO
  Locally applied patches:
        defined-or
  Built under freebsd
  Compiled at May 10 2006 20:36:34
  @INC:
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/BSDPAN
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl