Paticipation rather than griping.

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Thu May 11 19:43:58 PDT 2006

As a gesture of participation in this group and a FreeBSD user my self,
I have had more
track record with Photoshop and Quark Express on Mac. I also have two
high resolution
color laser printers. I can grab a logo off the web page and load it
into photo shop, do a
color separation and print a proof and submit it to some one with some
sway in FreeBSD.
But seriously, a good high resolution file can be rastorized and sent
to a printer complete
with text (rastorized in the image) and a printer  can print it from
the Rastorized file on a laser printer.
It doesn't need to be done 4 color offset.
I expressed some question of the new logo but consider that I am not
technically advanced
enough to contribute things like patches, or BETA testing.
Another responder to my logo subject e_mail asked me since I
represented my self as a
graphic designer and fine artist why I didn't submit something to the
contest. It didn't dawn
on me at the time. But, now I am coming up with some design ideas that
are in somewhat
of a totally different direction and reflect what my personal
preferences in a logo would be.
That is too late in the game but I would like to work up some ideas
that you can review and
keep on a shelf if they are interesting enough. I have just finally got
my web site back on the 'air'.
But I don't want to exploit the list for the sake of self promotion.
Direct responses to me via
e-mail and positive inquiries as to how and to whom I can submit some
hard copy sketches
and preliminary proofs. I can't reproduce volumes of copies on large
format lazer without
charging something. It costs over $900.00 to replace the toner on this
machine and $700
some odd to replace it on my 8.5 X 11 printer. I am a glorified
hobbyist. I make virtually no money
so far in spite of spending the last 10 years trying to learn how to
use computers and software,
doing javascript, php, mysql, various other scripting languages to get
up a decent enough
web site. This is why I like open source, I have even drifted away from
the expense of keeping
up with Mac hardware and software. I have Yellow Dog Linux running on
my older Macs.
I can understand the frustration that volunteers must feel that assume
responsibility for a
commendable project like FreeBSD. So in conclusion, instead of griping
about the logo,
I will offer what I can contribute. You wouldn't mind if I posted my
own logo ideas for Free
BSD on my web site? I will give out the domain name to direct e-mail
response. My site
is served over an ADSL connection and hasn't been stress tested. And it
won't be for a
few weeks before I get a presentation posted.
Thanks for being here;
Jeff Killen (in Los Angeles)
(JK)