Copying a file system w/ tar - symbolic links not copied right.

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu May 11 13:31:32 PDT 2006

> I've tried both the BSD and GNU tars, I get the same results on both. It's
> very strange.
>
> When I add the B option, no different.... I used:
>
> tar cf - /array01/* | ( cd /mnt/disk01 && tar xfvBp - )
>
> Maybe this is something specific to 4.11?
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> Source file:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root      wheel        21 Feb 19 03:05 apache.log ->
> /var/shc/apache/logs/
>
> Destination file created on the tar backup:
>
> ----------   1 root      wheel         0 May 11 11:02 apache.log
>
> Some have suggested using dump/restore. The problem with dump/restore is
> that I can't do it across the network and the file systems need to match.
> The whole point is to move these files/directories from one server to
> another to a volume with a LOT more space on a RAID array.

I used to do it over the net regularly with dump/restore.
Just take advantage of the pipe ability.    Since the other system
has so much room, just pipe the dump file over there and unroll
it with restore on the other machine as you please or just leave
it in a dump file if you don't want.

////jerry