Copying a file system w/ tar - symbolic links not copied right.

Don O'Neil don at lizardhill.com
Thu May 11 11:43:48 PDT 2006

I've tried both the BSD and GNU tars, I get the same results on both. It's
very strange.

When I add the B option, no different.... I used:

tar cf - /array01/* | ( cd /mnt/disk01 && tar xfvBp - )

Maybe this is something specific to 4.11?

Here's what happens:

Source file:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root      wheel        21 Feb 19 03:05 apache.log ->
/var/shc/apache/logs/

Destination file created on the tar backup:

----------   1 root      wheel         0 May 11 11:02 apache.log

Some have suggested using dump/restore. The problem with dump/restore is
that I can't do it across the network and the file systems need to match.
The whole point is to move these files/directories from one server to
another to a volume with a LOT more space on a RAID array.