Is it recommended to allow all outgoing connections from your firewall??

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu May 11 04:28:05 PDT 2006

Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> I've seen most people allow all outgoing traffic
> originating from the firewall itself... Is this really
> recommended??

No.  It's highly desirable to perform egress filtering if possible, but
many people lack the time or the detailed knowledge to determine what
outbound ports that they really need to use.  Simply blocking port 6667
can provide a lot of protection against botnets because ICC is so
commonly used as the control channel.

[ RFC-2196 recommends doing outbound packet-filtering. ]

--
-Chuck