Is it recommended to allow all outgoing connections from your firewall??

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Wed May 10 19:26:33 PDT 2006

> I've seen most people allow all outgoing traffic
> originating from the firewall itself... Is this really
> recommended?? What if the machine have been

A server being a server (and a firewall is nothing but a specific
server) there is no reason one would run a client application from
that machine. So I deny every outgoing connection from a server (only
exceptions are the protocols used by the server to upgrade itself,
http/ftp is allowd only through a proxy).

This makes very little constraint and I make the server much safer
knowing that one will not be able to read his mail or browse the web
from that server.

Best regards,

Olivier