Problems installing/running acroread 7: libBIB.so

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Sat May 6 07:58:44 UTC 2006

Ok, thanks!  That solved the library problems (there were several
more, as I'm sure you can imagine).  Now I'm trying to run the program
and I get:

$ /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/bin/acroread
The OS named  FreeBSD version 6.1-PRERELEASE is currently not
installed.
Try running on an installed platform and connecting to your display.
Installed platform(s) include the following:
  Intel/Linux

and when I try

$ /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread

I get

/usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread must be
executed from the startup script.

The archives tell me that I need to just run the usual script, per
usr/ports/UPDATING:

Check /usr/ports/UPDATING
It says:
   "The command filename is ${PREFIX}/bin/acroread as before..."

But when  Ido that I get acroread5.  So I've tried to deinstall that
but I'm having problems:

$ sudo pkg_deinstall acroread5
Password:
** No matching package found.

$ cd /usr/ports/print/acroread5
$ sudo make deinstall
make: don't know how to make deinstall. Stop

So, I suspect that I need to deinstall acroread5, and then probably
figure out how to point to acroread7.  Any suggestions for the first
step will be warmly apprecaited.

Thanks very much for the assistance already!

Best wishes

Andrew