Not an easy install

P.U.Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Sun Mar 26 07:32:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Vayu wrote:

> On Saturday 25 March 2006 06:36, Tim wrote:
>> Why couldn't you guys make a install easy instead of this and that, ok I
>> am a newbie and it should be easy, I have installed Ubuntu, it was like
>> a dream, smooth as silk, Fedora pretty much the same FreeBSD, its a
>> nitemare if you have never done it, I am now reloading windows and then
>> putting back Ubuntu, unless someone over there can make it simple even
>> for me.
>>

>> Tim Stevens
Hi Tim,

most experienced FreeBSD users consider FreeBSD's high
configurability and scalability (I hope this word is correct)
its biggest advantage over alternative OS's.
This - on the other hand - is its biggest disadvantage from a
beginners point of view: You *have* to configure most stuff
yourself, you *need* some idea what you are gong to do,
beforehand.

So, if you just need a ready made and working OS, you should
stick with Ubuntu, Debian and friends. If you want to learn
something about "The Secret Life Of Your Computer" (programming,
administration, etc. ) stay patient with yourself and with
FreeBSD and become one of "us guys" :-)

Regards,

Uli.