mysql for freebsd 6.0

kalin mintchev kalin at el.net
Fri Mar 24 03:17:34 UTC 2006

> On Thursday, 23 March 2006 at  0:52:18 -0500, kalin mintchev wrote:
>>
>>   hi all...
>>
>>   i can't see the mysql 5 version for freebsd 6.0 on the mysql developer
>> site?
>>   am i blind or it's on purpose?!?!
>
> No, it's on its way.  We should have a version up within a week or so.
> But you're the first person I've seen who wants to install from the
> MySQL site.  Why do you prefer this approach over the Ports
> Collection?

well... lately i'm having trouble with ports that don't update on time and
i have to 'fish' which mirrors are updated and which not. like for the new
asterisk port for example...

also for stuff that is 'really' important i usually build from src -
apache, php, qmail etc.

so i usually go to the src for mysql too.
nothing against ports really, i like them... i guess i'm just used to
build from src and besides i don't know how to pass options to ports while
installing... like --prefix=/here/ --enable-this, --disable-that kinda
options/flags...