6.0, allow remote logging?

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Wed Mar 22 21:53:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, March 22, 2006 14:40, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

>> I'm having the same problem getting syslogd to "work" on a
>> 6.0-STABLE box.  My ps -waux command shows the -a <ipaddr>, and
>> sockstat -l confirms that it's listening on port 514/udp.  Logging
>> works from the localhost only, not from any remote hosts.
>>

> Yes, I too had the issue and had to use my SuSE-9.3 box to receive
> logs... Maybe it's the curse of the "dot-oh" release(s) who knows.

With a little more googlin' and a lot of trial and error, I have it
working now...

---------------------------------------

in /etc/rc.conf:

syslogd_enable="YES"
syslogd_flags="-a 192.168.1.0/26:*"

---------------------------------------

in /etc/syslog.conf:

!*
+192.168.1.0/26
*.*                                 /var/log/messages

------------------------------------

doug at seth% logger -h lebanon -t TEST "from seth"

------------------------------------

doug at egypt% logger -h lebanon -t TEST "from egypt"

------------------------------------

tail /var/log/messages
Mar 22 15:40:55 <5.3> lebanon syslogd: exiting on signal 2
Mar 22 15:42:19 lebanon syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Mar 22 15:43:08 192.168.1.12 from seth
Mar 22 15:43:39 192.168.1.10 from egypt

Not sure why the -t tag didn't come through, but I'm glad to get
something anyway.

--
Regards,
Doug