6.0, allow remote logging?

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Wed Mar 22 20:40:07 UTC 2006

At Wed, 22 Mar 2006 it looks like Doug Poland composed:

> On 2/5/06, Bill Schoolcraft <bill at wiliweld.com> wrote:
> >> I've been trying to get 6.0 to allow itself to accept logs.
> >>
> >> I have a line in /etc/rc.conf that states the remote machine:
> >>
> >> syslogd_flags="-a 192.168.0.3"
> >>
> >> I have restarted "syslogd" so the output of "ps -auxw | grep syslog"
> >> shows the following:
> >>
> >> root 21703 0.0 0.3 1296 748 ?? Ss 9:31PM 0:00.03 /usr/sbin/syslogd
> -a 192.168.0.3
> >>

> > And my 'ps -auxw' output shows syslogd running with the
> > "-s <ipaddr>" too.  I wonder how to trigger that port to receive
> > packets.  Apparently syslogd believes all is well. :(
> >
> I'm having the same problem getting syslogd to "work" on a 6.0-STABLE
> box.  My ps -waux command shows the -a <ipaddr>, and sockstat -l
> confirms that it's listening on port 514/udp.  Logging works from the
> localhost only, not from any remote hosts.

Yes, I too had the issue and had to use my SuSE-9.3 box to receive
logs... Maybe it's the curse of the "dot-oh" release(s) who knows.

--
Bill Schoolcraft | http://wiliweld.com

"If your life was full of nothing but
sunshine, you would just be a desert."