Promise TX2200/2300 SATA RAID Controllers - New Driver/BIOS Problem

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 7 12:53:30 UTC 2006

At the beginning of February, Promise released a new BIOS (version
2.5.0.3115) for the TX2300 and a new Windows driver (version 2.06.0.311)
for the TX2200/2300.  After installing the new BIOS and driver on my
TX2300, neither the BSDINSTALLER iso from early December nor a -CURRENT
installation iso from the end of January recognize my RAID-0 array; the
two drives are seen as ad4 and ad6 rather than ar0.  Prior to installing
the new BIOS and driver, the BSDINSTALLER iso did recognize the array as
ar0.

I'm attempting a reinstall because of an unfortunate concatenation of
two hardware problems.  I tried to run glxgears on my Radeon 9500
(R300), which caused the system to freeze.  After a hardware reset, I
ran into the kern/91408 bug.

I've backed up my Win system and plan to see tonight whether atacontrol
can create ar0 for me.  If not, then for the time being I will likely
reflash the BIOS and change the Win driver back to the older versions.

Jud