winmodem driver

James Long list at museum.rain.com
Sun Mar 5 23:09:59 UTC 2006

> Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:44:02 -0500 (EST)
> From: "kalin mintchev" <kalin at el.net>
> Subject: Re: winmodem driver
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> what do i need to add to this information to get some help?

I may be able to be of limited help, although I have never tried
to configure a PCMCIA modem.  I will endeavor to disregard my
lack of experience.   :)

> >> You forgot to tell us WHICH model of ThinkPad concerns you.  Modems in
> >> older ThinkPads, such as a T21 or A20m may be supported by the
> >> comms/ltmdm port.
> >
> > ok... i have the ltmdm installed. i run the ltmdm.sh. nothing happens.
> > i load the ltmdm module manualy with kldload. it's loaded. now what?
> >
> > here is what i have for a modem:
> >
> > none1 at pci0:31:6:        class=0x070300 card=0x051a1014 chip=0x24868086
> > rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
> >     vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
> >     device   = '82801CA/CAM (ICH3-S/ICH3-M) AC'97 Modem Controller'
> >     class    = simple comms
> >     subclass = generic modem
> >
> > the machine is a t30 thinkpad.

The T30's internal modem is not supported, to my knowledge.

> > i also have a pcmci 3COM modem card that shows up as:
> >
> > sio4: <3Com 3CXM/3CCM556> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 11 function 0 config 33
> > on pccard0
> > sio4: type 16550A
> > sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
> >
> > not sure what normal mode is. and i don't see it in the pciconf.

So with this modem inserted in the card slot, does tip(1) work?

# grep sio4 /etc/remote
sio4|com5:dv=/dev/cuad4:br#9600:pa=none:
# tip sio4
connected
atz                      <-- type this simple AT command
OK

With the modem plugged in, do you have a /dev/cuad3 entry?  What does
ls -l /dev/cu* show?  Are you logged in as root?

> > i have a ppp.conf which looks exactly as the one in the handbook. when is
> > start ppp after a while i get the propmpt and after that if i type: dial
> > _tag_ the machine freezes...

The ppp man page is lengthy, but excellent.  It contains a lot of information
that took me several readings to digest, but it was well worth the time.  I
am not an expert in diagnosing ppp problems from logs, but if you can post
the ppp.log entries you get when you attempt to initiate a ppp connection,
others may be able to help.