Writing CDs on a DVD drive.

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Thu Mar 2 06:29:13 PST 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:25 am, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Malcolm Kay wrote:
> > It is not very clear what utilities are capable of writing R
> > or RW CDs on a multipurpose optical drive. It seems that
> > burncd doesn't do this and the man pages for growisofs talks
> > of specific DVD media types but not CDs.
> >
> > Is cdrecord a suitable tool for this purpose?
>
> Even burncd ought to be able to burn a standard CD-R or a
> blank CD-RW...did you forget to use "fixate" or DAO burning
> mode?  cdrecord ought to work also.

I've used burncd for some time with a standard CD writer and I
*thought* I tried the same thing, some time ago, using "fixate"
on the DVD drive without success. Perhaps I was mistaken or maybe
the version of burncd was not late enough.

> > And a (sort of) related question, will growisofs write
> > double or dual layer DVDs? The man page does make mention of
> > a write limit of 4+GB but I see this can be turned off. Is
> > this enough to enable writing dual/double layer medis?
>
> The most recent versions of growisofs supports burning
> dual-layer DVDs, both DVD-R and DVD+R.
>
> If you're trying to burn things larger than 4GB, the program
> may not be able to generate the .iso image dynamicly on the
> fly from a directory tree, so if you have problems, create the
> .iso image as a file first and then burn it separately.  I
> haven't heard about this problem happening (often?) under
> FreeBSD, however:
>
>  * 5.20:
> [ ... ]
>  * - DVD+R Double Layer support;
>  * - -use-the-force-luke=4gms to allow ISO9660 directory
> structures *   to cross 4GB boundary, the option is effective
> only with DVD+R DL *   and for data to be accessible under
> Linux isofs a kernel patch is *   required;
>  * - more sane sanity check for
> -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:N; * -
> -use-the-force-luke=break:size to set Layer Break position for
> *   Double Layer recordings;
>  * - speed verification issue with 8x AccessTek derivatives
> addressed; * - -use-the-force-luke=noload to leave tray
> ejected at the end; * - allow to resume incomplete sessions
> recorded with -M option; * - Layer Break position sanity check
> with respect to dataset size; * - #if directive to get rid of
> sudo check at compile time with *   'make
> WARN=-DI_KNOW_ALL_ABOUT_SUDO';
>  * 5.21:
>  * - Linux: fix for kernel version 2.6>=8, 2.6.8 itself is
> deficient, *   but the problem can be worked around by
> installing this version *   set-root-uid;
>  * 6.0:
>  * - fix for DVD+R recordings in Samsung TS-H542A;
>  * - DVD-R Dual Layer DAO and Incremental support;
> [ ... ]

I have 5.21 and found most of the above in the source code so it
looks as though I can write double layer +R but will need to
upgrade to write double layer -R.

WRT -use-the-force-luke=break:size, is this a necessary option or
will it default to a sensible value?

Thanks,

Malcolm Kay