SSHD working in a funky fashion

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 13:18:30 PST 2006

On 2/28/06, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Kurt Buff wrote:
> >sshd: fatal: timeout before authentication from 192.168.11.63
> >
> Can you ssh from one of your other FreeBSD boxes to this box?  If not
> then try "ssh -v -v -v" which may point you in the right direction.

Well, today it's working, but it's veeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy slow to log
into, from the Windows boxes. From the FreeBSD boxes it's just a bit
slow to log in.

> If it's just Windows which can't login, then try running sshd in debug
> mode and see if that tells you anything.  from man sshd
>
>      -d      Debug mode.  The server sends verbose debug output to the
> system
>              log, and does not put itself in the background.  The server
> also
>              will not fork and will only process one connection.  This
> option
>              is only intended for debugging for the server.  Multiple -d
>              options increase the debugging level.  Maximum is 3.
>
> If none of that shows anything useful, then maybe you have some network
> level problem.  Does any kind of connection from Windows work?  E.g.
> Samba shared drive?  Ftp?  Or even (for testing only) telnet, since
> putty does that too?

Don't have telnet or ftp running, but I'm able to browse the samba
shares just fine.

> If it's a network level problem, then some more info about your topology
> might be helpful.  E.g. are all these machines on the same LAN segment
> connected to the same switch?

One Windows box is on a different subnet but the same (layer3) switch,
one is on a different switch but same subnet, and the FreeBSD boxes (3
of them) are on the same switch and subnet.

> PS I assume you've tried your error message through google?

Yup - lots of hits, but not much meat.

Kurt