Opinions Wanted: Dell PowerEdge Servers ... ?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Jun 26 18:17:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:31:06AM -0700, Gayn Winters wrote:

> I suggest a small slice with Red Hat or Fedora on any Dell Server that
> runs FreeBSD.  As Chuck suggests, downloading the diagnostics for your
> machine in advance is good advice.  I've found Dell's Linux support team
> is helpful, but they have some policies like "run the diagnostics before
> doing anything else" which you usually won't be able to avoid. They may
> want to walk you through a Linux boot or some other steps under Linux.
> Once they verify the problem, they are very good at sending replacement
> hardware.

As I wrote earlier my PE 400SC came with a special miniature Linux
partition with all the diagnostics. Maybe 32MB, IIRC. Was purchased w/o
OS so there was no other software installed.

I didn't loose any sleep in not installing the diagnostics on new drives
when the 40GB place holder was replaced. There were fan sites for the
400SC with instructions on how to reinstall the diagnostic partition.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net