Opinions Wanted: Dell PowerEdge Servers ... ?

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Mon Jun 26 15:44:10 UTC 2006

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> I've heard that Dells tech support isn't as helpful as it used to be,
> but I've had them replace a CD-ROM drive and a 4mm DAT tape backup on
> Dell machines dedicated to FreeBSD without any problems.
>
> Try running the diagnostic CD or floppy that came with the machine?
> (Or can be downloaded for the specific system type from the Dell website.)

Second that. They're not as good as in the past, but we have had
hardware assistance on a FreeBSD-driven server on the condition of
proving hardware fault using Dell's own bootable diagnostics.

Also, it seems like "YMMV" definitely applies to Dell, generally. We
find that their higher end desktops (mainly Optiplex), higher end
laptops and PowerEdge servers to be pretty solid and well-supported.

However, our support experience may be artificially "enhanced"
compared to others because we buy off a large govt. contract. We do
not talk to the same support group that most other posters have
grumbled about. That said, our overall experience with Dell support
has actually been as good or better than with many other vendors.

 From time to time we're confronted with a 1st tier "non-help" desk
operator (scripted responses, incapable of deviating from script or
otherwise actually helping), but we find that it's not too difficult
to escalate around those individuals and actually get help.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348