Opinions Wanted: Dell PowerEdge Servers ... ?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 26 14:57:01 UTC 2006

Mike Galvez wrote:
[ ... ]
> No small thing you need to consider when choosing Dell is that they DO NOT support
> FreeBSD. They support Windows and Red Hat Linux. If the machine is not lights-out
> and the OS is not one of the above, they will not send parts or a technician.
>
> I found this out the hard way and had to load Linux on a spare drive just to prove
> a piece of hardware was failing.

I've heard that Dells tech support isn't as helpful as it used to be, but I've
had them replace a CD-ROM drive and a 4mm DAT tape backup on Dell machines
dedicated to FreeBSD without any problems.

Try running the diagnostic CD or floppy that came with the machine?
(Or can be downloaded for the specific system type from the Dell website.)

--
-Chuck