Need help restoring from filesystem failure

Maxim Vetrov muxas at mail.ru
Mon Jun 26 10:39:45 UTC 2006

Hi to all,

I'm running 6.1 release compiled from source. For a half of june it run
smoothly. But then somehow I got a filesystem crash - it just refused to
start after reaching fstab mounts, saying that fs (/data) was not
properly dismounted:
WARNING: /data was not properly dismounted
/data: bad dir ino 2 at offset 16384: mangled entry
panic: ufs_dir_bad: bad dir

I rebooted in single user mode and run fsck -f on each filesystem. All
but one were clean.  I agreed on automatic correction suggested by fsck
(shame on me, I do not remember what the message was about). Fsck
applied suggested change and marked fs as clean. Then I tried to mount
the fs:
 > mount /dev/ad0s1f /data
Instead I got complains about not properly dismounting and page fault
while at kernel mode (page not present).
I run fsck one more time (it didn't find any problem this time) and
rebooted the system. The first problem showed up. Now I have vicious
circle: mangled entry and page fault.

Is there any way to correct the problem? I was not so "excited" if it
had been /var or even /usr, but it was /data with all of my personal
projects and I do not have backups!!!

Regards,
muxas