CUPS, USB printers & "Permission Denied"

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Mon Jun 26 03:09:53 UTC 2006

Anthony Agelastos wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2006, at 9:05 PM, Micah wrote:
>
>> Anthony Agelastos wrote:

>>> I have no idea what it is supposed to be.
>>> %ls -l /dev/ulpt0
>>> crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0,  68 Jun 25 19:01 /dev/ulpt0

>>> What's the best way to run it as root? When I log into the CUPS web
>>> interface as root and try to print a test page, it gives me the
>>> message I posted above. If, as root, I try to print a Postscript file
>>> via lp, it does nothing.
>>> Thank you all again for your
>>> assistance._______________________________________________
>>
>> I had the same problem. chown ulpt0 to group cups and add group write.
>> That will fix it. I added the following to /etc/devfs.rules to make
>> the fix permanent:
> I did
>
> chgrp cups /dev/ulpt0
> chmod g+w /dev/ulpt0
>

>> [system=10]
>> add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
>> add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
> I did not have a /etc/devfs.rules file, so I copied
> /etc/defaults/devfs.rules to /etc/devfs.rules and added what you
> suggested at the bottom of it.
>

>> Don't forget to restart devfs.
> When I do
> /etc/rc.d/devfs restart
> it seems like nothing happens. So, I rebooted my machine and the group
> was back to operator. What am I doing wrong? Thank you so much for your
> assistance with this.

Oops, I've had a custom devfs.rules for so long that I forgot that you
need the following in rc.conf:

devfs_system_ruleset="system"

I would also create a new /etc/devfs.rules that only has the three lines
as shown above since that's pretty close to what mine has. I'm not sure
what all the hide/unhide stuff in the default rules does. Issuing a
/etc/rc.d/devfs restart /should/ cause ownership and permissions to
change - at least it did for me. You can always unplug the USB cable or
power-cycle the printer to test it.

HTH,
Micah