Any generic (non-wm-specific) audio players?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Fri Jun 23 17:50:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:18:35PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> On 6/22/06, Chris Hill <chris at monochrome.org> wrote:
> >On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >> ... Does xmms play streams?
> >
> >I'm not sure about xmms and streams, never having tried it. So I've just
> >been playing with this, and it seems to work like Nikolas' description
> >of cplay: download the playlist manually, then you can load it from
> >within xmms. I'm listening to radioparadise.com as I type this (thanks
> >for the link, Nikolas!)
> >

> Your welcome, here's more:
>
> http://www.somafm.com/ (multiple genres)
> http://www.bassdrive.com/ (Drum & Bass / Junge)  /* Tops, IMO, gk */
> http://www.friskyradio.com/ (EDM etc.)
> http://www.di.fm/ (multiple genres, mostly electronic)
> http://www.xtcradio.com/ (DJ Mix Sets)
> http://www.staticbeats.com/ (IDM)
> http://www.m1live.com/ (Club/Dance)
>
> Also, Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music (Flash Player Required):
> http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html
>
> Does anyone know of streams that sound like XRT or Q101?... two radio
> stations in Chicago

	*This* is exactly what  I was going to ask about next:
	if we could all post streaming sites.  Oe of my favorites is
	http://www.sky/fm/[many substream URL's].

	Thanks for thhe Guide, Nikolas!

	Another thing I've been wondering about is xmms-faad2
	which is mp4 or a High Effiency decoder of "aac"(?)
	streams that only require 24kpbs to yeild fairly high
	fidelity sound.  Does anybody know anything about how
	xmms-faad2 works with good ol' xmms??  (I'm completely
	new to most of this--streaming sites.  But then just got
	new speakers w/bass boombox!)  So any tips will be very
	welcome.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix