Simple DNS For Private LAN

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri Jun 23 15:22:02 UTC 2006

I'm having a hard time understanding what I need to do.  I have a small
home network that uses a 3Com DSL modem/router as the last hop to the
Internet.  Currently, the DSL modem/router to provides DNS for both my
home network and the Internet.  Basically I have a few static entries
for machines on my home network and then the DSL modem/router queries my
ISPs name servers for everything else.

When I registered my domain, I used ZoneEdit as my name servers.  'whois
mykitchentable.net' gives this output:

domain:         mykitchentable.net
owner-name:     Drew Tomlinson
nserver:        ns3.zoneedit.com 209.61.140.1
nserver:        ns4.zoneedit.com 216.98.150.236

Now I'm changing ISPs and the DSL modem/router will be removed.  I am
going to use a FBSD 6.x box to be my router, firewall, and DNS server.
I read the handbook regarding DNS but remain confused.  Should I be a
master for mykitchentable.net?  I'm thinking not because ZoneEdit is the
master, correct?  So should I be a slave?  And if I'm a slave, will my
DNS get it's updates from ZoneEdit?  Or should I become master for my
zone and make ZoneEdit a backup DNS?

I'm a complete newbie to DNS but know that it's important to get it
right or lots of stuff gets broken.  Can someone please guide me in the
right direction?  I don't mind reading if you send me a link.  :)

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!