ICH5R, ICH7R or Promise PDC20378 RAID?

Philippe Lang philippe.lang at attiksystem.ch
Tue Jun 20 16:39:47 UTC 2006

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 10:18:05AM +0200, Philippe Lang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got two boxes that would be perfect for a small server. The
>> motherboards are:
>>
>> - ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, with ICH5R and Promise PDC20378
>> - ASUS P5WD2, with ICH7R
>>
>> I intend to install FreeBSD 6.1, and I wonder which chipset you would
>> recommend me for RAID 1? I need something rock-solid, of course...
>>
> I'm running -STABLE on a P4C800-E.  I've never had a problem
> with the PDC20378.  Recently, I added two drives on the ICH5R
> with no issues.  A little benchmarking shows the ICH5R to be a little
> faster.

Hi,

I wasn't as lucky as Doug with my ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe board, both with
the ICH5R and Promise RAID controller.

1) With the Promise controller, after simulating a disk problem
(shutdown - disk disconnection - reboot - shutdown - disk reconnection -
reboot), I wasn't able to rebuild the array at all, either with
"atacontrol rebuild ar0" or from the bios. I suspect a spare disk is
necessary for a complete rebuild.

2) With the ICH5R controller, installation went fine too. If I
disconnect a disk, the system still boots, but when I plug the disk back
(computer shut down), no boot is possible anymore. At boot, a kernel
panic says: "softdep_setup_inomapdep". No array rebuild is possible from
the bios, so I'm stuck.

I use freebsd 6.1 RELEASE, with the latest BIOS for the motherboard, and
2 SATA 1.0 Western Digital 160GB disks. I'm trying to configure RAID 1.

I'm surprised I have so many problems. Am I doing anything wrong? With
INTEL hardware controllers for SCSI disks, I never had any problems
until now. Does anyone successfully use another ASUS board, and is able
to rebuild the array, without rebooting?

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

Philippe Lang, Ing. Dipl. EPFL
Attik System