AMD64 Desktop Support

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Jun 20 05:54:27 UTC 2006

On Jun 19, 2006, at 11:35 PM, Michael Collette wrote:

> Bit of a dilemma here with my primary desktop machine suddenly up
> and dieing on me.  I'm now in the market to slap together a new PC
>
> I've started with looking at picking up an AMD64 based system.
> After Googling around for a while I still have some concerns I
> haven't been able to address.  Probably just not looking the right
> places.
>
> Mostly I'm worried about some of the proprietary stuff like Flash,
> Acrobat, nVidia Drivers, Java, and the like not working.
>
> Is anyone out there actively using the AMD64 processor as a desktop
> machine?  Are any of these 32-bit apps going to prove to be a show
> stopper for me?
>
> The alternative appears to be the P4 with all the motherboards I've
> seen using audio devices that aren't supported.  Still, I'd rather
> buy an old sound card and have all the software at least
> functional.  Any advice out there?

You can always run the 32bit i386 version on the AMD motherboard if
you find out that the above stuff doesn't work so well.  I don't use
FreeBSD as a desktop so I cannot comment on that part but amd64
issues with flash etc does not mean you have to buy a P4 or other
Intel chip based system.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC