Does FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE support the Intel PWLA8391GT NIC?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Jun 19 08:34:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 08:10:52AM +0200, Björn König wrote:
> Mark schrieb:
> >A similar question as before: does FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE support the Intel
> >PWLA8391GT NIC card?
>
> According to Google this card is also known as Intel PRO/1000. It should
> work with the em(4) driver.

Intel PRO/1000 is a whole family of gigabit cards.  The name for the
particular card in question here is the Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter.

If I have read the CVS logs correctly, support for this particular card was
added to RELENG_4 somtime between 4.10-RELEASE and 4.11-RELEASE (Oct 2004 to
be more exact), so it should be supported in 4.11-RELEASE as well as in
4.11-STABLE (but not in 4.10-RELEASE or older.)

> See also http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET

Unfortunately that document does not make it clear exactly which cards are
supported.

> >Earlier, I recieved a link to the FreeBSD site for 'older' versions, but I
> >only saw 4.11-RELEASE there.
>
> 4.11-RELEASE is the latest release of the 4-STABLE branch. There are
> only a few minor changes between the latest release and -STABLE in this
> case.

There has actually been quite a few changes (mostly fairly minor) in 4-STABLE
since 4.11 was released.  Considering it has been almost 18 months since
4.11 was released, this is not surprising.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se