"don't know how to make" libsmutil.a

nthwaver at gmail.com nthwaver at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 20:10:24 UTC 2006

I've been trying to follow these directions for setting up a secure
mailserver: http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/freebsd/sendmail.html

Step 4 under "Sendmail setup" has given me continuous problems, mostly
ending with this error:

   make: don't know how to make
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/../../lib/libsmutil/libsmutil.a. Stop

As suggested in this thread, I tried first updating the source tree
with cvsup and typed "make buildworld" in /usr/src:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-May/086150.html

However, after running for an hour or two, "make buildworld" exited
with an error code, with the same message!

   make: don't know how to make
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/../../lib/libsmutil/libsmutil.a. Stop

I am using FreeBSD 6.0-release, and updated with the RELENG_6_0.  This
system has been installed since around March and before today I've
only updated the ports tree.  This was my first attempt to update the
source.  Have I missed any steps that have caused these errors?
Thanks.

- Jordan