freebsd on a newer pc

Jonathan Horne jhorne at dfwlp.com
Sat Jun 17 11:39:13 UTC 2006

>>> My experience has been that once you boot that way once it becomes
>>> the default.  Play around with it
>>>

>> i dont think thats the behavior im getting.  when i hit 2 to boot:
>
> It  may depend on how known your MB is to support acpi. On my
> machines to boot default with acpi and if I tell it not to boot with
> acpi at boot, when I reboot that is now the default.
>
> I am not an expert on this.  Maybe your MB is a "known" bad acpi one?
>
> ---
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
> Your Web App and Email hosting provider
> chad at shire.net

man i hope thats not the case.  the computer im working with here is a
fairly new hp dc7100.  i know hp does a lot of non-microsoft stuff, so i
would hope that their technology has the benefits of trickledown from all
the r&d they can afford.

my whole point of fighting with this feature, is so that my system can
WOL.  if i sent 'shutdown -p now' from remote, and then later if i want
the system back on again... if its hanging at the "system has shutdown,
hit any key to reboot" promt, WOL will do nothing!

oh well, ill keep at it.

thanks,
jonathan