ripping "enhanced" audio CDs

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Fri Jun 16 16:52:07 UTC 2006

Yesterday at 4:23pm, Mac Newbold said:

> Today at 2:55pm, Mikhail Goriachev said:
>
>>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD HARDWARE ERROR
>>> asc=0x08 ascq=0x01 error=0
>>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD ILLEGAL REQUEST
>>> asc=0x64 ascq=0x00 error=0
>>> Jun 14 11:27:22 mybox last message repeated 11 times
>
> I am pretty sure this isn't an anti-piracy feature. It happens to me with
> _any_ "enhanced CD" (audio+data mixed CD), and _only_ on enhanced CDs. Never
> has it happened to me on any non-enhanced audio CD. My problem is not with the
> inability to get the data off, that doesn't seem to be a real issue. The
> problem is with the crashing of the computer.
>
> Why should _any_ data read from a removable disk of any kind be causing
> FreeBSD to crash by the mere act of attempting to read it from the disk? The
> device is reporting a failure, but why isn't the OS handling that failure
> gracefully?
>
> If I'm asking the wrong list, and should be asking hackers at freebsd.org or some
> list related to multimedia, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed answers to this thread. (BTW, it is
helpful if you keep me cc'd in your replies, since I'm not on the list
itself and only see responses when I go check the archive.)

To answer some of the questions that came up:

1. It never happens on any plain/normal/non-enhanced audio CD I've tried,
which I'm quite sure might include some that are "copy protected" or have
some kind of DRM in place.

2. None of them have said anything about being non-functional or limited
with certain computer players or operating systems that I have noticed.

If we can, I'd like to take this discussion in a slightly different
direction. Let's change our thinking by making the following assumptions:

A. It is not a DRM or copy protection scheme causing the errors.

B. Since it happens on every "enhanced" CD (i.e. one containing audio
tracks and a data track meant to be read on a computer) that I've been
able to try, but not on any non-enhanced CDs, of which I've tested many
hundreds, let's assume it is related to the fact that it is enhanced.

By combining assumption A and assumption B, I'm led to the conclusion that
there is something about Enhanced CDs that is causing FreeBSD to get
unrecoverable errors that lead inevitably to a system crash. Namely, it
generates "READ_CD Hardware Error" messages, followed by a series of
"READ_CD Illegal Request" messages immediately prior to the crash.

Does anyone have some ideas (other than copy protection or DRM) on why
this might be happening or what might be done to solve the problem?

Does anyone have some ideas of other places or lists where I might ask a
similar question and be more likely to get closer to solving the problem?

Thanks again,
Mac