FreeBSD is #1

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 15:19:32 UTC 2006

--- Beech Rintoul <beech at alaskaparadise.com>
wrote:

> On Monday 12 June 2006 16:06, Danial Thom
> wrote:
> > --- Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
> wrote:

> > > At this point FreeBSD 6.x has had way more
> > > intensive stress testing
> > > and QA by the project than 4.x did.  It is
> > > stable.
> > >
> > > Kris
> >
> > I'm not saying that its not, only that I know
> > lot of ISPs and more of them are running 4
> than
> > 6. In fact I know exactly 0 running 6. So
> > proclaiming that Freebsd is #1 without
> qualifying
> > what version they are running doesn't really
> say
> > anything.
> >
> While trying to introduce FreeBSD into a
> Micro$oft only house, I've heard the
> following many times:
>
> "Never heard of FreeBSD" and "Show me some
> documentation and stats".
>
> Regardless of the actual version, the stats are
> accurate for those providers.
> They reflect overall uptime and connectivity.
> This isn't about version, it's
> about FreeBSD gaining a firmer foothold in a
> Micro$oft / Linux dominant
> world. Personally, I'll take all the help I can
> get.
>
> 'nuff said,
>
> Beech

I couldn't disagree more. OS versions are like
wine vintages. You can't proclaim that a '01
vintage of a wine is also great because a '99 got
a great review.

With FreeBSD, its even a bigger difference. The
kernel is being torn apart to accommodate MP, and
you have quite a different development team.
DragonflyBSD is based on FreeBSD 4.x also, just
as the current FreeBSD is based on 4.11, but you
have 2 completely different animals in the
making.

Of couse you can trick stupid managers with such
things, if that's your agenda. But you have a
different problem in the commercial world. You
can put an ad in the paper and get someone who
knows how to administer an MS box (maybe
competent), but for FreeBSD forget it. You can't
staff an IT dept with FreeBSD gurus. And you
can't just switch to FreeBSD because 1 guy in the
dept happens to have some experience with it,
because all of the other guys become dead wood
(if they're not that already). Thats the big
problem with getting penetration.

DT