FreeBSD is #1

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Tue Jun 13 00:47:29 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 16:06, Danial Thom wrote:
> --- Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 02:36:24PM -0700,
> >
> > Danial Thom wrote:
> > > Freebsd 4.x no doubt :)
> >
> > At this point FreeBSD 6.x has had way more
> > intensive stress testing
> > and QA by the project than 4.x did.  It is
> > stable.
> >
> > Kris
>
> I'm not saying that its not, only that I know a
> lot of ISPs and more of them are running 4 than
> 6. In fact I know exactly 0 running 6. So
> proclaiming that Freebsd is #1 without qualifying
> what version they are running doesn't really say
> anything.

While trying to introduce FreeBSD into a Micro$oft only house, I've heard the
following many times:

"Never heard of FreeBSD" and "Show me some documentation and stats".

Regardless of the actual version, the stats are accurate for those providers.
They reflect overall uptime and connectivity. This isn't about version, it's
about FreeBSD gaining a firmer foothold in a Micro$oft / Linux dominant
world. Personally, I'll take all the help I can get.

'nuff said,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com