Strange swap behaviour

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Jun 8 18:26:23 UTC 2006

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> A server of mine is running 6.1/amd64 with 1GiB of RAM.
>  From time to time swap use will grow enormously and performance will
> suffer from this; also the nightly clamav run will not complete, as the
> process will get killed due to lack of swap space.
> The day after I'll look into top and see this two processes are the
> largest ones:
>>   672 snort          1 -58    0  4007M 62344K bpf    0   8:53  0.00%
>> snort
>>   669 snort          1 -58    0   323M 29704K bpf    1   1:45  0.00%
>> snort

I'm having the exact same problem on 6.0/amd64.  I commented out the
stream4 preprocessor lines in the snort.conf file and the problem went
away.  I just uncommented them this morning, to confirm that that is
what is causing the problem.

It appears that there is a memory leak in the stream4 preprocessor, but
before I report it, I want to confirm that the symptoms are repeatable.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer