Does FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE support the 8237R?

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 07:42:44 PDT 2006

--- Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu>
wrote:

> > >notice this thread is in reference to
> swapping a MB for another MB and
> > >coments like yours are not appreciated.
> > >

> > >Please notice I never said what the box was
> doing nor did I ask for your
> > >opinion of what MB/NIC I use in my systems.
> >
> > Makes no difference, he has as much right to
> sound off as you do
> > as long as he sounds off on FreeBSD or a
> directly related topic.  This
> > is a public forum.  If you don't like a post,
> delete it.
>
> So, I guess that means that the original poster
> can spout off and say that
> the response contained irrelevant and offensive
> material if he wants as well.
> Getting those types of responses is one way
> that persons (at least some of
> them who have sufficient perception) learn how
> to make appropriate and
> meaningful responses.
>
> > As I've said before on this mailing list,
> freebsd-questions is a public
> > mailing list that is FREE support.  You don't
> "have it your way" you
> > "have it the responders way"
>
> And the original poster subsequently became a
> responder.
>
> > If you can shuck some pearls out of the
> oyster bed here, your doing
> > better than most, but you have no right to
> urinate all over the oyster
> > bed just because you don't find any pearls.
>
> Wow, I am stunned.
>
> > If you want it "your way" I suggest you
> investigate PAID support.  There
> > are plenty of people out there taking money
> for support, and they will
> > give you the support any way you want, on as
> nice a silver platter and
> > bed of roses and as polite as you want.
>
> Pecuniary reward is not the only reason to
> learn how to make reasonable,
> meaningful responses that are to the point of
> the question and to be
> able to understand the difference.   Being able
> to post responses that
> are respected in the community is another
> reward and may occasionally
> require learning from peoples comments on the
> quality of the responses.
>
> ////jerry
>

> > > This SERVER is
> > >purpose built
> > >and runs stable 24/7 as a low volume
> outbound mail server so
> > >the performance
> > >of the NIC is not my primary concern.
> >
> > You have no need to justify what your doing
> to him or to me or to
> > anybody.
> > Why bother doing it.
> >
> > > Please keep your useless
> > >comments to
> > >yourself as they do nothing but waste disk
> space, CPU time and
> > >the valuable
> > >time of people who attempt to help others on
> this list.

How is informing someone that they're wasting
their money on a MB a waste of time? I'm sure
you've wasted thousands of your employers dollars
with your ignorant recommendations, Jerry. I can
get hours of entertainment just googling you.

Ok, here's a test to illustrate my point. I have
a server with a big file (352MB). 2 client
machines running the same version of Freebsd:

1) AMD 1.8Ghz Opteron - onboard bge controller:

Ftp results: 4MB/s

2) Intel 2.0Ghz Celeron 845 Chipset, onboard fxp
controller:

ftp results: 11MB/s

I think we'll all agree that a 1.8Ghz opteron is
substantially faster (and more expensive) then a
2.0Ghz Celeron? (or will Jerry ask me to prove
this also)? Its not rocket science. What good is
the extra horsepower of the cpu doing you if
you're using a crap controller? Its mindless
stupidity; which is about what you'd expect from
a sys admin, and not an engineer. The problem
with this list is that its all sys admins, so
learning from other idiots just causes  you to be
just as stupid at your "teachers".

DT