Recommendation for 1000BASE-SX card?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Jun 3 15:30:36 PDT 2006

Naw, once you got the meds right, you started making
more sense. ;-)

>Its easy enough for commercial companies to fix
>the bugs if they need to use the broadcom
>drivers. There's just little incentive to donate
>the code back with this bunch of rude,
>incompetent clowns that have become the FreeBSD
>micky mouse club.

I don't think it's that being the problem.  I think
the problem is that the engineers at places like HP and
ASUS and such, know perfectly well the Broadcom and the
Realtek and the other cheapo-crappy ethernet chipsets
are garbage.  But, I think they figure that they are not
going to throw expensive programming time on solving the
problems of those chips in software.  I think they spend
the expensive programming time on their high-end gear, which
has the Intel chipset and the other good stuff, high end
parts in it.

There was a time when name brand companies like Dell, HP
Gateway, Micron, etc. etc. made 2 lines of computers.
Cheapo crappy desktop gear, and expensive high quality
server gear.

What I think ruined it is too many people pressing cheapo
crappy desktop gear into use as servers, it was cutting
into the high-end server market in a big way.  So, the
Dell's and the HP's of the world realized they needed to
create server lines (and the motherboard manufacturers
realized this too with motherboard lines) that were marketed
as servers, but were a lot cheaper than their high end
servers.  This would allow them to package the exact same
crappy desktop parts in a box marked as a "server" and
costing twice as much, yet not as much as the really good
quality server gear.  And so that is what is going on
these days.

The really high end gear, which is rapidly vanishing, the
motherboard and box vendors are still putting time into
work on drivers and such.  But, for the low end gear they
are just buying commodity chipsets, and they are telling those
commodity vendors (like realtek) that they simply won't
buy their stuff unless the chip comes with drivers.  So,
the commodity vendors slap together the minimum effort
needed to get the chip and software driver out the door,
and the motherboard and box vendors simply take the driver
source and replace "Realtek" with "HP" and sometimes they
don't even bother to do even that much.  And if the driver
has some bug in it that is intermittent, well who cares,
the Windows users will just blame it on a virus or something,
as long as the bug is infrequent enough that the user
does not return the hardware to the dealer.

>There was a time when you could
>discuss an issue with Matt, Mike and Terry and
>hammer out a solution. Now you've got a bunch of
>gaming jockeys who know as much about hardware as
>my Mom. And that ain't much, sadly.

The situation is analogous to the auto manufacturing market in
a great many ways.  Over the last 15 years computer manufacturing
has really grown up until it's just like auto manufacturing
today.  We no longer have some of the really horrible gear out
there like the 80486 50Mhz chips and their associated support
chips that would lock up for no reason at least 6 times a day.
But, we also no longer have some really cool and amazing gear like
the NetFrames which most people didn't understand how good they
were because they were so figging expensive.

Today, everyone has the cost/benefit calculators out and is
cutting every corner in the book.  Need a server?  Well the
rack mounted stuff is an extra $50 so we will just set up some
card tables and get minitowers.  Need a UPS?  Well that there
300VA unit with the itty-bitty-titty-batteries in it that has
a runtime of 5 minutes on a good day will shut the server down
without scratching it's disks, so lets buy that instead of that
APC 600VA unit with the extra batteries that has a 4 hour runtime
and a network card in it to where you can plan for battery
change out in advance.

And that's just the end users, the manufacturers are doing the
same thing.  This is exactly the reason that Microsoft has slipped
their new Windows version.  They are waiting for the cheapo
crap hardware to catch up.

Ted