How big a flashrom for a minimal freebsd install?

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Fri Jul 28 18:26:26 UTC 2006

Chris T. wrote:
> I"m toying with the idea of setting up a mini-itx server so I can move
> the dns and firewall daemons off of the fileserver so I can turn it
> off.  I'm thinking I want to get a flashrom ide adaptor so that I can
> swap setups on the thing by swapping cards.  I don't see myself using
> 4GB flash cards for this.  I'd rather get smaller cheaper cards.  How
> big is a minimal freebsd install?

If you

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make DESTDIR=/some/empty/dir installworld
# make DESTDIR=/some/empty/dir distribution
# make DESTDIR=/some/empty/dir installkernel

Then you'll see that

# du -d 1 /some/empty/dir

adds up to less than 200MB. This can be reduced further if you in your
make.conf remove NIS, LPR, GAMES and other stuff you won't need.

1GB should be enough for everything, but remember that log files may eat
up a lot of space.

And btw, doing the above you have a fully functional base system
installed into /some/empty/dir

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org