[freebsd-questions] How big a flashrom for a minimal freebsd install?

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Fri Jul 28 18:23:57 UTC 2006

Chris T. wrote:
> I"m toying with the idea of setting up a mini-itx server so I can move
> the dns and firewall daemons off of the fileserver so I can turn it
> off.  I'm thinking I want to get a flashrom ide adaptor so that I can
> swap setups on the thing by swapping cards.  I don't see myself using
> 4GB flash cards for this.  I'd rather get smaller cheaper cards.  How
> big is a minimal freebsd install?
It's not very minimal, but I have a quite usable install in a 256MB CF
card. I have had 16MB DoMs that boot to X11 before now, but that's a lot
more work to strip down (or rather build up from kernel+init, in that
case). A chopped up make.conf and using buildworld into a different
directory is all you need to get down to about 160MB, and you still have
manpages and most signs of civilisation at that stage. It's nice to
learn a bit more about the build process, too.

Howie