im about to sit down an read the entire postfix manuals...

James Long list at museum.rain.com
Tue Jul 25 00:31:15 UTC 2006

> Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:20:59 -0500
> From: Jonathan Horne <jhorne at dfwlp.com>
> Subject: im about to sit down an read the entire postfix manuals...
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> becuase i want to know if it supports a specific feature or not.  so before i
> do and spend all that time, i just thought i would ask a simple question or 2
> to this list.
>
> my problem: i have 5 domains that my sendmail server recieves mail for, and im
> starting to get spammed at name1 at domain1.com as well as name1 at domain2.com etc
> etc.  realistically, name1 only needs to receive at domain1, and none of the
> others.  there are many other accounts that only need to recieve at other
> specific domains, and not at any of them.
>
> before i go an burn up a lot of time reading about postfix, is there a way i
> can solve this problem within sendmail?  if not, will researching in postfix
> eventually lead me to the solution im looking for?  if i can fix it within
> sendmail, id just as soon perfer to stay with that, but ill switch if i have
> to.
>
> thanks,
> jonathan

If I'm understanding you correctly, consider something like this in your
/etc/mail/virtusertable:

# domain1.org
#
name1 at domain1.org                       name1
@domain1.org                            error:nouser
#
#
# domain2.com
#
name2 at domain2.com                       name2
@domain2.com                            error:nouser
#
#
# domain3.net
#
name3 at domain3.net                       name3
@domain3.net                            error:nouser
#
#

This makes name1 only receive mail at domain1, name2 at domain2, and
name3 at domain3.

Standard caveat about running make after modifying virtusertable.

Jim