LDAP Thunderbird and security (OFF)

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Mon Jul 17 07:45:33 UTC 2006

Nagy László írta:

>  Hello,
>
> I would like to create an LDAP server, for storing address book
> information for Thunderbird. E-mail clients will be connecting
> remotely with IMAPS (over the internet). Is there a secure way to do
> this? I know that samba can create an LDAP server but it is not
> secure, is it? I also know that I could create a VPN connection, but
> for my users, this is too difficult to setup. :-) Do you know a
> solution, definitely for FreeBSD, that is relatively easy to setup on
> the client side, and secure?
I could setup openldap, and my thunderbird can connect to it. But I
cannot add persons to that address book. I also asked this on the
openldap mailing list, but I had no answer since two days. I read
somewhere that Thunderbird requires a special schema to be present on
the LDAP server. Anybody out there who could use openldap with thinderbird?

Thanks,

   Laszlo

p.s.: Sorry to be offtopic, nobody helped on the openldap list.