LDAP Thunderbird and security

Nagy László nagylzs at enternet.hu
Fri Jul 14 17:56:58 UTC 2006

  Hello,

I would like to create an LDAP server, for storing address book
information for Thunderbird. E-mail clients will be connecting remotely
with IMAPS (over the internet). Is there a secure way to do this? I know
that samba can create an LDAP server but it is not secure, is it? I also
know that I could create a VPN connection, but for my users, this is too
difficult to setup. :-) Do you know a solution, definitely for FreeBSD,
that is relatively easy to setup on the client side, and secure?

Thanks,

   Laszlo