aterm -e screen does not source .bashrc (was: Re: been buggin' me for a while now (console resolution))

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Jul 11 18:25:00 UTC 2006

On 2006-07-11 14:11, Peter <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> I just tested here, with the CVS mirroring account I have at this
>> workstation, by:
>
> [snip]
>
>> and when I su(1) to this account, the .profile is used by bash!
>
> There is no question that .profile is sourced when I log in.  It is
> sourced.  It is only not sourced when I invoke aterm from within
> .xnitrc:
>
> aterm -ls -e screen &

Aha.  I think I'm getting somewhere.

If I run xterm with the -e option, regardless of -ls being present or
not, the shell used to spawn the -e command is *NOT* a login shell.

This way, when I run:

	xterm			=> not login shell

	xterm -ls		=> login shell

	xterm -e /bin/sh	=> not login shell

	xterm -ls -e /bin/sh	=> not login shell either

So it's not the -ls option that is causing your aterm windows to be
non-login shells, but it looks like it is the -e option that does this.