aterm -e screen does not source .bashrc (was: Re: been buggin' me for a while now (console resolution))

Peter petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 11 18:12:47 UTC 2006

--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> On 2006-07-11 12:39, Peter <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > --- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> > > Can you please also send the output of:
> > >
> > >     $ ls -ld .bash* .sh* .profile

> > -rw-rw----  1 peter  users   7.7K Jul 11 09:31 .bash_history
> > -rw-rw----  1 peter  users   1.6K Jul  4 15:31 .profile
> > -rw-rw----  1 peter  users   975B Jul 29  2005 .shrc
>
> Strange, there is no .bash_profile but you still see .profile is
> unused?
>
> I just tested here, with the CVS mirroring account I have at this
> workstation, by:

[snip]

> and when I su(1) to this account, the .profile is used by bash!

There is no question that .profile is sourced when I log in.  It is
sourced.  It is only not sourced when I invoke aterm from within
.xnitrc:

aterm -ls -e screen &

>From before I know that this *does* result in a sourcing of the file:

aterm -e login &

>From the bash man page:

       When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
non-inter-
       active  shell with the --login option, it first reads and
executes com-
       mands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists.   After
reading
       that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and
~/.profile,
       in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first
one  that
       exists  and  is  readable.  The --noprofile option may be used
when the
       shell is started to inhibit this behavior.