Linksys router and ssh time outs ...

Eric eric at mikestammer.com
Sat Jul 8 12:24:22 UTC 2006

User Freebsd wrote:

> I just put a linksys router in place, so that we could use our
> wireless laptop, well, wireless ... now, I seem to be getting timeouts
> on my ssh connections when they are idle, but timeouts that I never
> received when I had my desktop directly connected to the cable modem ...
>
> I've looked at the settings for the Linksys, and can't find anything
> that might be related ... is there some keepalive that the linksys
> might be blocking, or something else that I can do to keep the
> connection from dropping?
>
> Thanks ...

Putty has an option to send keep alives every few seconds as does
SecureCRT.  are you using that? More than likely the firewall in the
linksys is killing the connection after 5 minutes of inactivity. My
sonicwall was doing the same until i started using the keepalive. set it
to like 30 seconds to start and go from there