Problem with fsck : continued

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jan 31 09:39:08 PST 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 12:25 PM, manish jain wrote:
>   So now the question is if I can get FreeBSD 6.0 to run fsck
> automatically on restart in such a manner that all services come up
> consistently. I am even willing to have fsck run in the foreground
> upon EACH restart, irrespective of whether the previous shutdown
> was proper or improper. How do I do this ?

To start with, you could set:

   background_fsck="NO"

...in /etc/rc.conf to force filesystem checking to happen first.

However, you are not going to have a very happy computing experience
with any flavor of Unix if you keep shutting the system down
uncleanly several times a day because of power failures.  Try to
obtain a UPS with a serial or USB connection and use a port like
apcupsd to shut down cleanly...

--
-Chuck