CPU Frequency on FreeBSD 5.4 and MSVS 2005 R2

Tamouh H. hakmi at rogers.com
Mon Jan 30 20:12:45 PST 2006

Hi,

I've been able to run couple of successful tests installing FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x on Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 , however, I've noticed for some reason FreeBSD is not detecting the actual CPU speed:

-------------------
FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Mon Jan 30 22:32:31 EST 2006
    msupport at freebsd.mssitename.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/INTERNDC
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0

CPU: Intel Pentium III Xeon (593.19-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6a4  Stepping = 4
  Features=0x380a97b<FPU,VME,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,CX8,SEP,PGE,CMOV,MMX,FXSR,SSE>

real memory  = 824115200 (785 MB)
avail memory = 796700672 (759 MB)
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
acpi0: <A M I OEMRSDT> on motherboard
acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
Timecounter "ACPI-safe" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000

The frequency should be 900MHz. The BIOS does not state CPU frequency, nor the boot sequence.

In fact, if I reboot the FreeBSD virtual machine, the frequency would be different (sometimes 460MHz , others 550MHz...etc). I think this is causing a considerable degradation in the FreeBSD speed.

Any suggestions in this regard ?  MSFT doesn't officially support FreeBSD, but I'm aware they support Linux on their virtual server.

Thanks,

Tamouh Hakmi